House Order of Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig, Military Division, Grand Cross Breast Star (with swords on ring)
Estimated market value:
The Order was instituted by Grand Duke Paul Friedrich August of Oldenburg in commemoration of his father, Duke Peter Friedrich Louis. It was conferred in recognition of both civil and military merit.
The Order was separated into two divisions; each division featured the same awards, but they were allotted a different number of members.
The first division or “die Kapitulare” (the Capitulars) was limited to citizens of Oldenburg. The Princes of the Ducal House were entitled to become Honorary Members of the Grand Cross, so long as their lineage to the House was traced through a direct male blood line. The Capitulars had an associated badge, which was a medallion surrounded by an enamelled green wreath. The badge came in numerous grades, which affected the composition.
The second division was composed of Honorary Members. This division of the Order was allowed to confer twice as many awards.
All grades of the Order, except for the Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medals, could be awarded with crossed swords to denote military merit.
If an individual had previously been awarded a lower-grade decoration with swords, and later received a higher grade without swords, they wore “swords on ring” on the higher grade.
In 1918 a further provision for a wreath of laurels was added to the Order. The wreath was conferred for war merit.
The Order became obsolete in 1918 when the last Grand Duke of Oldenburg renounced the throne.
In 1841 the Grand Cross (with crown) was divided into Grand Cross (with gold crown) and Grand Cross (with silver crown).
Sign in to comment and reply.