Waterloo Medal

Started by JaqZ1815
258f6f72825e3173c0124840be7853d4?default=mm&secure=true

JaqZ1815

Hi All

Very excited to share my favourite peice! I purchased a Waterloo medal from the SOS and am very pleased with this addition to my (limited) collection. I feel like a true collector now.

The medal is named to John Beaumont of the 33rd regiment of foot. This regiment served at the Battle of Quatre Bras and Waterloo immediately after. At waterloo they suffered 4 officers and 32 men killed; 8 officers and 92 men wounded; and 48 men missing. I am compiling a more thorough understanding of the regiment, which I may post later.

I have found the medalroll online and his name was written as "Jns" which was intruiging. Usually the shortform is Jno, however, I didn't see any of those. I stumbled across some other forums (which may have even been about this medal!), which stated that Jns was used for John.

The medal is one the original iron ring and suspension. There are also six stars engraved along the top of the rim, three on each side of the suspension.

I am still on the hunt for other information. If anyone has any resources or directions to point me in, that would be great. Otherwise, enjoy the photos!

Jaq

JaqZ1815

Thanks @militman !

Yes, appears to have been plated, which is wearing around the edge. This surprised me, but I asked some friends and they said it was still good.

Has anyone else seen any plated Waterloo medals?

I have been so busy with work due to Covid, haven't had a spare second to get back into my research!

5f0f232a74911c08a6be564877e41373?default=mm&secure=true

BWWW2

Hi JaqZ1815!!

I have been collecting Waterloo medals for 30 years and rarely see a plated example. Can you tell if it was recently done? aka the 50 years?

JaqZ1815

Hi BWWW2,

This is the first Waterloo medal that I have purchased, but I would love to see/hear about some of yours! Such a fascinating battle - I am keeping my eye out for more (with the right price tag of course).

Not sure about the plating date, to me it is reminiscent of the 'Canadian style' medalbars from the 1939-45 War. There is a fair bit of wear around the edges. Do you have any tips that can help me determine when it may have been plated? Happy to post some more pictures if needed!

-Jaq

Horse

TrojanHorse

Hi BWWW2,

Just thought I'd chime in on this. I am also a collector of Waterloo Medals and have been for some 40 years. I collect Household Brigade regiments, in particular the 1st King's Dragoon Guards. I have 10 to this particular regiment and always looking for more. Reviewing JaqZ1815s most recent post, I wasn't aware of the "Canadian Style"…. very interesting. I don't come across too many Waterloo Medals that have been plated. It makes sense for the WWII medals to be plated as this process was much more common during the 20th Century. That being said, seeing Georgian or even early Victorian medals plated is certainly not as common.

Anyhow, if anyone has a Waterloo for sale, please let me know if they are going to post it for sale here! I'd certainly be in the market!

BWWW2

Hi Mr.TJ,

Unfortunately I don't have any to that regiment. Of course, that was an elite regiment who suffered badly during the battle from blown horses and from overreaching. Were you looking for any regiments in particular?

Horse

TrojanHorse

BWWW2,

I am relatively particular at this stage of collecting. The medal must be either a WIA or a KIA and to a Calvary regiment. If you have one that fits, I'd be more than happy to discuss a possible purchase.

BWWW2

Hi JaqZ1815!!

Took a looky at the Emedals listing and it looks like a stunner. Thanks for sharing! I may take a stab at it.

BWWW2

`