Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal
Estimated market value:
The Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal was established by the Secretary of the Navy, Paul K. Spaulding, on February 19, 1939. The award was originally known as the "Fleet Marine Corps Reserve Medal." However, the organization's name was changed to the "Organized Marine Corps Reserve" in 1938. In 1984, the award was officially redesignated as the "Selected Marine Corps Reserve." The Bronze Medal is awarded to any member of the Marine Corps who, after July 1, 1925, and prior to April 24, 1961, had attended 80 percent of all scheduled drill periods within a period of 4 consecutive years, or who since April 24, 1961, had attended 90 percent of all scheduled drills. In 1996, the time requirement was reduced to 3 years of qualifying service.
A bronze star emblem is worn on the ribbon to denote subsequent awards.
There are 2 versions of the Medal which vary by the obverse inscription. The first version features the inscription "FLEET MARINE CORPS RESERVE FOR SERVICE" while the second version features the inscription "MARINE CORPS RESERVE FOR SERVICE."
It is uncertain if the reverse was officially engraved with the recipient's details.
There is limited information regarding this item.
Obv: FLEET MARINE CORPS RESERVE FOR SERVICE Rev: FIDELITY ZEAL OBEDIENCE
Obv: MARINE CORPS RESERVE FOR SERVICE Rev: FIDELITY ZEAL OBEDIENCE
Sign in to comment and reply.