Order of Aeronautical Virtue, Civil Division, Grand Officer's Cross
Estimated market value:
The Order of Aeronautical Virtue was established by King Carol II in 1930. It was suppressed in 1947 following the abolition of the Romanian monarchy, but it was reinstated in 2000 following the collapse of the communist regime.
From 1930-1937 the Order was conferred upon Romanian military aviation personnel in recognition of distinguished service. It was awarded to Axis aviation personnel (including German Luftwaffe personnel) during the Second World War, and from 1938-1947 it could be awarded with swords in recognition of wartime merit. The Order is currently conferred in two divisions upon Romanian citizens and foreigners in recognition of meritorious service in the field of aeronautics. It may also be awarded posthumously.
The ribbon is edged in gold for all decorations conferred in recognition of wartime merit.
Membership in the Grand Officer grade is currently limited to 10 members in the Civil Division and 25 members in the Military Division. There is no limit on wartime conferral.
There are three different versions of the Grand Officer. The Commander (Military Division, peacetime, 2000-) has a wreath between the arms of the cross, and the Commander (Military Division, wartime, 2000-) has a wreath and swords between the arms of the cross. All three versions have a reverse inscription that translates to "Aeronautical Virtue."
The Grand Officer is identical to the third model Commander, however, only the Grand Officer is worn with a Breast Star.
The previous decorations are listed in the Orders of the Kingdom of Romania (1881-1947). See also the Medal for Aeronautical Virtue in the Medals & Decorations of the Kingdom of Romania (1881-1947) and Romania (1990-) for the medal associated with the Order.
Sign in to comment and reply.