Cross of Villafranca del Vierzo and Lugo, Cross
Image courtesy of “Abbildungen zur chronic sämtlicher Ritter Orden und Ehrenzeichen Souveraine and Regerungen, Seiner Majestat dem Konige Von Presussen Freiderich Wilhelm IV gewidmet von H. Schulze, Lieutenant in der Landwehr Artillerie”, published in 1835 in Berlin
Estimated market value:
The Cross of Villafranca del Vierzo and Lugo was founded in Spain by King Ferdinand VII on March 13, 1817. It was conferred upon the members of the Army of Galicia, under command of General Don Nicholas Mahy, who recaptured the city of Villafranca del Vierzo, and fought at the Battles of Lugo on March 18 and 19, 1809.
The Cross features an obverse inscription that translates to "Capture of Villafranca del Vierzo, 19th March, 1809," and a reverse inscription that translates to "Battles of Lugo, March 18th and 19th, 1809." Both inscriptions are spread among the arms.
Sign in to comment and reply.