Order of the Griffin, Military Division, Grand Cross
Estimated market value:
The Order of the Griffin was founded by Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV and was awarded to recognise outstanding achievements and benevolent service to the public.
Until August of 1904, the order was exclusively awarded in Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Following the signing of an agreement, the order became a common award between Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Mecklenburg-Strelitz. As such, from this point onward the Grand Dukes of both states were joint Grand Masters of the order.
The Order became obsolete in 1918, following the end of the German Empire.
The pictured example is a Prototype in silver gilt, dated 1918.
Sign in to comment and reply.