Order of the White Falcon, Type II, Military Division, Commander Breast Star
Estimated market value:
A four-sided star made up of several dozen individual rays, constructed of silver, gold, and enamel. Attached to the star is a large medallion. Its centre is golden and features a left-facing white falcon with golden edges, surrounded by rays of light. This portion is surrounded by a ring with a rope-like pattern. Around this is a blue enamelled inscription ring with the golden inscription ‘VIGILANDO ASCENDIMUS’ (‘through vigilance we ascend’), with a small star at the bottom, surrounded by another ring with a rope-like pattern. In between the star and the medallion are two crossed golden swords. The reverse is smooth, in silver, and features a vertical pinback.
The Order of the White Falcon was originally founded by Duke Ernst August to honour Emperor Charles VI, but the order quickly fell into disuse.
The order was renewed on October 18, 1815 by Grand Duke Carl Ernst, and it was awarded to Saxon citizens in recognition of meritorious civil and military service, especially service that benefited the ducal house.
While it was primarily a house order, it was also conferrable to foreign high ranking heads of state.
The Type II order awards were conferred within the Civil Division and the Military Division.
The Military Division awards conferred from 1815 to 1870 feature a trophy of arms design on the reverse, while the Military Division awards conferred from 1870 to 1918 feature crossed swords through the centre of the cross and a wreath on the reverse.
The Civil Division awards conferred from 1815 to 1918 feature a wreath on the reverse and no crossed swords.
In 1892 a version was created to recognise general merit that was rendered in the name of the grand ducal house. The awards for general merit did not feature a red and green enamelled square between the cross arms.
Obv: VIGILANDO ASCENDIMUS
Sign in to comment and reply.