Order of the White Falcon, Type II, Military Division, Honour Cross
Estimated market value:
A George’s cross, constructed of silver, gold, and enamel, with crossed swords through the centre. The cross is enamelled in white with a silver edge. The obverse centre medallion is in gold and features a white enamelled left-facing falcon with golden edges, surrounded by golden rays. The medallion ring features a rope-like pattern. The reverse is similar, except that the centre medallion is dark blue enamelled and features the golden crowned monogram ‘CF’. On a loop for suspension, on a red ribbon.
The Order of the White Falcon was originally founded by Duke Ernst August to honour Emperor Charles VI, but the order quickly fell into disuse.
The order was renewed on October 18, 1815 by Grand Duke Carl Ernst, and it was awarded to Saxon citizens in recognition of meritorious civil and military service, especially service that benefited the ducal house.
While it was primarily a house order, it was also conferrable to foreign high ranking heads of state.
The Type II order awards were conferred within the Civil Division and the Military Division.
The Military Division awards conferred from 1815 to 1870 feature a trophy of arms design on the reverse, while the Military Division awards conferred from 1870 to 1918 feature crossed swords through the centre of the cross and a wreath on the reverse.
The Civil Division awards conferred from 1815 to 1918 feature a wreath on the reverse and no crossed swords.
In 1892 a version was created to recognise general merit that was rendered in the name of the grand ducal house. The awards for general merit did not feature a red and green enamelled square between the cross arms.
Grand Duke Carl Ernst added the grade of Honour Cross to the order on February 18, 1840.
Sign in to comment and reply.