Cross of General Honour, Military Division
Estimated market value:
A Pisan cross, constructed of bronze gilt. The decoration features two crossed swords through the centre. The arms are pebbled and feature broad smooth edges. The obverse centre medallion is smooth and features the crowned and ornamental monogram ‘AR’. The medallion ring is narrow and smooth. The reverse is similar, except that the centre medallion features the crowned Saxon coat of arms inside an oak leaf wreath. On a loop for suspension, on a white ribbon with four green stripes.
The Cross of General Honour was instituted by King Albert to recognise meritorious services, acts, and achievements.
It was founded to replace the Silver Medals awarded with the Albert Order and the Order of Merit, which were removed from their respective orders in 1876.
In 1901, crossed swords were added as an attribute for crosses awarded to recognise military merit in wartime. For individuals who had already been awarded a civil decoration and were to receive a military one, swords would be added under the ring.
From 1907 on, the name was changed from General Badge of Honour to Cross of Honour, and a surmounting crown was added to awards for exceptional merit.
The cross was manufactured in one piece, and the raised areas are polished.
It is unknown if any were ever awarded.
Sign in to comment and reply.