SA Cap Edelweiss Insignia
Image courtesy of eMedals.com
Estimated market value:
The SA (Sturmabteilung, storm detachment) was established in 1921 as a paramilitary protection squad of the NSDAP. The members of the SA were tasked with protecting party leaders at political rallies and meetings from the paramilitary forces of the opposing political factions. The SA was first utilised on November 4, 1921 at a meeting held in Munich’s "Hofbräuhaus" beer hall. The organisation was banned after the failed putsch in 1923 and was reactivated in February 1925.
Two versions of the Edelweiss cap insignia, a regional traditions insignia, were used by the SA: one for the Hochland and one for the Austria districts.
The Hochland Edelweiss insignia was introduced in 1931. It was generally made of stamped silvered brass, with a black swastika on the yellow stamen. The swastika may be missing on early versions. This flower insignia has no stem. It was worn on the left side of the cap.
The Austria Edelweiss insignia is believed to have been introduced in 1935. This one does have a stem, but no swastika. It was usually made of light metal, like aluminum. It was also worn on the left side of the cap, but on a diamond-shaped cloth underlay in the colour of the cap’s top (and therefore the wearer’s region).
Sign in to comment and reply.