SA Brown Service Shirt
Image courtesy of Hermann Historica Auctioneers, Munich
Estimated market value:
The SA (Sturmabteilung, storm detachment) was established in 1921 as a paramilitary protection squad of the NSDAP. The members of the SA were tasked with protecting party leaders at political rallies and meetings from the paramilitary forces of the opposing political factions. The SA was first utilised on November 4, 1921 at a meeting held in Munich’s "Hofbräuhaus" beer hall. The organisation was banned after the failed putsch in 1923 and was reactivated in February 1925.
The SA Service Uniform was officially introduced on November 14, 1926. SA leader Gerhard Rossbach is credited with making brown the official colour of SA and NSDAP, as he supplied SA troops with brown khaki shirts that had originally been produced for the German troops serving in East Africa during the First World War.
The Brown Service Shirt was manufactured out of light brown cotton twill and has a five button closure. The shirt has two pleated breast pockets with scalloped flaps. The sleeves have folded back cuffs with a dual button closure. The waistband features six belt support hooks and a single cloth belt loop on the reverse. By 1932, the lay-down collar was piped with cord that denoted rank. The shirt was worn with a shoulder board, collar tabs, and an NSDAP armband. In addition, the shirt was also worn with matching trousers, a belt with a cross strap, and brown leather boots. It is not to be confused with the under-tunic shirt.
Sign in to comment and reply.