Champagne Cross (stamped "GES.GESCH" 1932)
Estimated market value:
The Cross was instituted by the Honorary Union of the Saxon World War Participants, a Veterans' Association in Saxony.
It was founded to commemorate and reward German soldiers who had fought in the Second Battle of the Marne.
The Cross was unofficial (as were all other badges produces during the era) and veterans were required to purchase their own medal.
The cross was manufactured in Dusseldorf and Hamburg.
The Dusseldorf crosses were produced in 1932 by Eugen Billig, and they have the shape of an equilateral Maltese Cross with pointed edges.
The Hamburg crosses were produced in 1933-1934 by Fleck & Sohn, and they have the shape of an equilateral Maltese Cross with rounded edges.
Crossed swords may be featured on the ribbon to emphasize the "combat merit" of the recipient.
There were approximately 3000 crosses issued in total.
Sign in to comment and reply.