Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal (with "BASUTOLAND" clasp)
Estimated market value:
The Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal was established by the Cape of Good Hope Government and approved by Queen Victoria on December 4, 1900. It was awarded to Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers, and enlisted men of the Cape Colonial Forces who served in the Cape of Good Hope Region in the late nineteenth century. Service was recognized for the Basutoland Campaign (1880-1881), the Transkei Campaign (1880-1881), and the Bechuanaland Campaign (1896-1897).
The Medal could be awarded with clasps to denote service in specific campaigns. Multiple clasps could be awarded to the same recipient, with the maximum 3 clasps being the most awarded to one recipient. The following 3 clasps were officially awarded:
Most medals were officially named in London, however, some unnamed medals may remain from those that were sent to Africa.
There may be additional versions of the Medal that differ in size.
Sign in to comment and reply.