King's Police and Fire Services Medal (for gallantry, 1933-1938)
Estimated market value:
The King's Police and Fire Services Medal was established by King Edward VII in 1909 to reward members of the police force for acts of gallantry and distinguished service. The Medal was established as the King’s Police Medal, but its name was changed to the King’s Police and Fire Services Medal in 1940. It underwent further amendments before it was permanently discontinued and replaced by the Queen’s Police Medal and the Queen’s Fire Service Medal in 1954.
The Medal was awarded to members of British and Commonwealth police forces and fire brigades in recognition of acts of gallantry and devoted service including acts of life-saving, crime prevention, the demonstration of successful leadership during difficult circumstances, the maintenance of public order, special service to the Royal Family or heads of state. Long and meritorious service accompanied by additional feats of bravery was also recognized by the award.
A clasp was worn on the ribbon to denote each additional award made to the recipient. Until 1934, the clasps were dated. The clasp now features a generic laurel design.
Since 1969, recipients have been entitled to use the post-nominal letters KPM or KPFSM.
There are multiple versions of the medal that differ in the obverse engraving and inscription. In 1933 two models were created to distinguish between medals awarded for gallantry and medals awarded for distinguished service. From 1950-1954, the Silver Medal (for gallantry) was only awarded posthumously. All medals are issued named.
There may be additional versions that differ in size.
Sign in to comment and reply.