German Army Command Flag for Divisions
Image courtesy of Fornax, Wikipedia
Estimated market value:
The flags of the Wehrmacht were initially the old tradition flags of the Imperial Army, which had also been the flags of the Reichswehr. New Wehrmacht flags were introduced on March 16, 1936. All individual colours of units were replaced by the Reich War Flag on August 28, 1944.
Flags and pennants were not only used for individual units, but also to identify high-ranking officers or command posts. Staff flags for commanding officers of units usually showed numbers and (Latin) letters, at least in times of peace, to help identify units more accurately.
There are also National Insignia Pennants (Hoheitszeichen) for officers that were used exclusively on motor vehicles.
The Command Flag for Divisions (Kommandoflagge für Divisionen) was introduced on April 19, 1933. It was used not only by a division, but also by the infantry commander and artillery commander of the division. It is triangular with horizontal stripes in black/white/red. Wartime flags often have a division emblem painted on them.
Border Commands (Grenzkommandanturen) had a similar flag, but with the addition of the black Latin letters “Grz” on the white field.
Sign in to comment and reply.