German Army Field Marshal’s Flag
Image courtesy of Fornax, Wikipedia
Estimated market value:
The flags of the Wehrmacht were initially the old tradition flags of the Imperial Army, which had also been the flags of the Reichswehr. New Wehrmacht flags were introduced on March 16, 1936. All individual colours of units were replaced by the Reich War Flag on August 28, 1944.
Flags and pennants were not only used for individual units, but also to identify high-ranking officers or command posts. Staff flags for commanding officers of units usually showed numbers and (Latin) letters, at least in times of peace, to help identify units more accurately.
There are also National Insignia Pennants (Hoheitszeichen) for officers that were used exclusively on motor vehicles.
The Field Marshal’s Flag (Hoheitszeichen für Marschälle) was introduced on April 23, 1941. It is a field-grey square with a gold-coloured braid around the edges, and an outer black border. It shows a gold-coloured Wehrmacht eagle above two Field Marshal’s batons.
Sign in to comment and reply.