German Army Flag of the Chief of the Armed Forces High Command
Estimated market value:
The flags of the Wehrmacht were initially the old tradition flags of the Imperial Army, which had also been the flags of the Reichswehr. New Wehrmacht flags were introduced on March 16, 1936. All individual colours of units were replaced by the Reich War Flag on August 28, 1944.
Flags and pennants were not only used for individual units, but also to identify high-ranking officers or command posts. Staff flags for commanding officers of units usually showed numbers and (Latin) letters, at least in times of peace, to help identify units more accurately.
There are also National Insignia Pennants (Hoheitszeichen) for officers that were used exclusively on motor vehicles.
The Flag of the Chief of the Armed Forces High Command (Chef des Oberkommandos der Wehrmacht) was displayed on vehicles only. There are two version.
The first version was introduced on August 6, 1938. It is a red rectangle with a black/white border and a triangular cut-out on the fly. On it is a black swastika inside a white disc with multiple black and white border, with a black and white Iron Cross in the upper left corner and a Wehrmacht style black and white eagle in the lower left corner.
The second version was introduced on March 23, 1941. It is of the same shape and colour, but the disc shows two crossed field marshal’s batons with a superimposed national eagle. It also has an Iron Cross in the left upper corner.
Sign in to comment and reply.