German Army Flag of the Chief of the Army High Command
Image courtesy of Fornax, Wikipedia
Estimated market value:
The flags of the Wehrmacht were initially the old tradition flags of the Imperial Army, which had also been the flags of the Reichswehr. New Wehrmacht flags were introduced on March 16, 1936. All individual colours of units were replaced by the Reich War Flag on August 28, 1944.
Flags and pennants were not only used for individual units, but also to identify high-ranking officers or command posts. Staff flags for commanding officers of units usually showed numbers and (Latin) letters, at least in times of peace, to help identify units more accurately.
There are also National Insignia Pennants (Hoheitszeichen) for officers that were used exclusively on motor vehicles.
The Flag of the Chief of the Army High Command (Chef der Heeresleitung) was introduced on April 19, 1933. The position was later renamed to Commander-in-Chief of the Army (Oberbefehlshaber des Heeres) in 1935. The flag was discontinued on December 19, 1941 when Hitler himself took the position.
The square flag shows an Iron Cross on a white center with a thick red border. Shortly after the beginning of the war, a swastika was added to the center of the Iron Cross.
Sign in to comment and reply.