German Army Medical NCO/EM's Visor Cap
Image courtesy of Auction House Andreas Thies, Catalogue 65
Estimated market value:
Visor Cap for Medical Non Commissioned Officers. Celluloid sweat shield is maker marked “ISKO” and “ADEFA - The mark for products from Arian Hands”. Visor features field grey cloth construction and dark blue piping throughout. Front features aluminum eagle, wreath, cockade and pressed front visor. Interior features artificial silk lining with leather sweatband showing size stamp “57”.
The Visor Cap was not a newly developed garment. It had already been well established in the 1920s. The pattern that was used during the Third Reich was established in 1931.
The cap was made of a field grey-green woolen top, a dark green cap band, and a black leather visor. There are three bands of piping, one along the top, one above the cap band, and one below it. Piping is in the colour of the branch type of the wearer, except for General ranks, who had gold-coloured piping.
Enlisted men and NCOs wore a black leather chinstrap. Officers up to General ranks wore a silver-coloured chincord, whereas General ranks wore a gold-coloured one.
The cap has an eagle insignia on the front of the cap band and below it a national cockade in red, white, and black with a circle of oak leaves.
Prices will vary significantly depending on the branch, since caps of certain branches are rare.
Branch colours on German Heer headgear was as follows:
Black was worn by Engineer units.
Black/White was worn by Panzer Engineers.
Copper Brown was worn by Motorcycle personnel.
Light Brown was worn by Signals units until 1936, and by Construction troops.
Carmine was worn by the Führer Staff, General Staff Officers, Staff Officers of the Supreme Command of the Army, and all Veterinary branches.
Bordeaux Red was worn by Smoke & Chemical personnel.
Wine Red was worn by Judicial officials.
Bright Red was worn by Generals, Artillery units, and Ordnance Officers (until 1944).
Rose or Pink was worn by all Armored units (including Panzer troops, and Schützen Brigade Staff).
Orange was worn by Recruiting personnel, Ordnance troops, Ordnance Officers (since 1944), and Field Gendarmerie units.
Bright yellow was worn by Cavalry units, and Light Division Staff.
Lemon yellow was worn by Signal units.
White was worn by Infantry units.
Light Grey was worn by Propaganda personnel.
Grey-Blue was worn by Sonderführer (Specialist Officers).
Violet was worn by Chaplains and Field Bishops.
Cornflower Blue was worn by Medical units, and Supply units.
Bright Blue was worn by Transport troops.
Bright Green was worn by Jäger and Mountain units.
Grass Green was worn by Panzer Grenadier units (Armored Infantry).
Dark Green was worn by Administrative personnel.
Sign in to comment and reply.