Luftwaffe Bahnhofs-Offizier Armband
Estimated market value:
The German Wehrmacht was composed of three main branches, the Heer (Army), the Kriegsmarine (Navy), and the Luftwaffe (Air Force). The Heer and Kriegsmarine uniforms were based upon the designs utilized by their predecessor organizations, the Reichsheer and the Kaiserliche Marine. Conversely, the Luftwaffe uniforms were based upon the uniforms worn in the sports and paramilitary organizations that were the forerunners of the Luftwaffe. The Luftwaffe uniforms were specifically designed to deviate from the designs of the other Wehrmacht service branches. It was also necessary that the uniforms differentiate between military and civilian pilots.
The majority of Luftwaffe armbands were instituted prior to the start of the Second World War, but only a select few of these armbands continued to be used during the war. There were only a handful of armbands introduced for wear during the Second World War.
These armbands were meant to be worn while performing a specific role, and not as a permanent insignia. The wearer returned the armband to the issuing unit after completing their role. The issuer may have stamped a cachet onto the armband in indelible ink.
This armband was introduced prior to the Second World War, and it was meant to be worn by Railway Station Officers responsible for the welfare and control of Luftwaffe troops as they passed through a station.
The armband is composed of yellow cloth and an embroidered inscription "BAHNHOFS-OFFIZIER" in black gothic lettering.
This was a short-lived armband that was replaced a month later in February 1937 by the new "BAHNHOFSKOMMANDANTUR" armband.
Sign in to comment and reply.