Blockade Runner Badge, by B. H. Mayer
Estimated market value:
The Blockade Runner Badge was instituted by Adolf Hitler on April 1, 1941, and was conferred upon sailors of merchant ships who successfully brought their vessels through the enemy blockade and safely into a friendly port. Under special circumstances, it could also be awarded to sailors of ships that were sunk by the enemy. The badge recognised the bravery of sailors and the crucial role they played in strengthening Germany’s economic ability to wage war.
Initially, the badge was awarded as a civil decoration only, but as of December 5, 1942 soldiers of the Kriegsmarine were also eligible.
The badge was designed by Otto Placzeck in Berlin. The eagle is often silvered, while the chain and ship are usually blackened.
Badges by Mayer are marked with the company’s LDO number, L/18, or the PKZ number, 26. Badges are made of zinc.
Sign in to comment and reply.