Naval Auxiliary Cruiser War Badge, by Steinhauer & Lück
Estimated market value:
The badge was instituted on April 24, 1941, and conferred upon crew members of auxiliary cruisers who showed worthiness and good behaviour, and proved themselves during a long-distance operation. It was awarded by the ship’s captain.
Auxiliary cruisers were merchant ships turned raiders, armed to differing degrees. Their mission was to disrupt trade and supply lines, and capture or sink enemy merchant vessels.
It has been estimated that the total amount of badges awarded may lie between 4500 and 4700.
The badge was designed by Wilhelm Ernst Peekhaus in Berlin. It shows a viking ship on the top half of a globe. Ship, eagle, and wreath are gilded, while the globe is silvered.
Badges by Steinhauer & Lück are unmarked. They have been attributed to the compare due to the hardware used. Badges are made of zinc, but occasionally the globe is made of tombac instead.
Zinc gilt/Silvered Zinc
Sign in to comment and reply.