This is the oldest order-jewellery firm in Germany, known for making every German order and insignia from around the world. It was founded by Jean Godet in 1761, and was first located at Schloßfreiheit 4 in Berlin. Around 1796, it was taken over by his son, Jean Jacques who was later succeeded by his son, Jean Frederic. Under his stewardship, the firm became the official court jeweler to the Crown Prince of Prussia in 1828. In 1861, King Wilhelm designated Godet, then run by Jean Fredric’s son Jean Pierre, the official purveyor to the court. In 1871, the German Empire was born with Kaiser Wilhelm on the throne. It is believed that Godet was manufacturing the “Type B” core of the Iron Cross at this time, along with both the first and second class Iron Cross, and international orders. In 1880, Pierre died, and six years later, Eugen Godet entered the family business. They moved locations in 1892 to Friedrichstraße 167, and again in 1908 to Charlottenstraße 55. In 1911, the firm was designated the Royal Court Jewellers by Kaiser Wilhelm II during their sesquicentennial celebrations, the highest honour a jeweller could receive. Eugen became the sole proprietor at the age of 45 that same year, the fifth generation of Godet. The company was also the court jeweller to the Grand Duke of Mecklenberg-Schwerin and to the Prince of Lippe.
Around 1924, the company name was changed to Eugen Godet & Co. and by the early 1930s had changed again to Gebrüder Godet & Co. During the Second World War, they were the exclusive supplier of the German Red Cross.
The factory was bombed in 1944, and Eugen died in 1947. His widow carried on the business until it was sold in 1964 to Die Orden Sammlung, led by Dr. Klietmann.