Medal of Aeronautical Virtue, Military Division, II Class (peacetime)
Estimated market value:
The Medal of Aeronautical Virtue was established by King Carol II in 1931 as an extension of the Order of Aeronautical Virtue. It was suppressed in 1947 following the abolition of the Romanian monarchy but was reinstated in 2000 following the collapse of the communist regime.
From 1931-1947 it was awarded to Non-Commissioned Officers of the Romanian Air Force in recognition of distinguished service. It was also awarded to Axis aviation personnel (including German Luftwaffe personnel) during the Second World War. The Medal is currently awarded to Romanian citizens and foreigners in recognition of meritorious service in the field of aeronautics.
There are two models of the II Class Medal that differ in engraving and inscription. The first model, awarded in the Kingdom of Romania, features a reverse inscription that translates to "For Aeronautics," and the current model features a reverse inscription that translates to "Aeronautical Merit."
From 1937-1947, the II Class Medal was awarded with swords during periods of war, and from 1938-1947 it could be awarded with swords on a war ribbon for bravery. The II Class Medal is currently awarded in three versions. The II Class Medal (Military Division, peacetime) features a surmounting wreath and the II Class Medal (wartime) features a surmounting wreath with swords.
The previous versions are listed in the Medals & Decorations of the Kingdom of Romania (1881-1947). See also the Order of Aeronautical Virtue in the Orders of the Kingdom of Romania (1881-1947) and Romania (1990-).
Sign in to comment and reply.