Cross for the Battle of San Marcial, Cross
Image courtesy of “Abbildungen zur chronic sämtlicher Ritter Orden und Ehrenzeichen Souveraine and Regerungen, Seiner Majestat dem Konige Von Presussen Freiderich Wilhelm IV gewidmet von H. Schulze, Lieutenant in der Landwehr Artillerie”, published in 1835 in Berlin
Estimated market value:
The Cross for the Battle of San Marcial was instituted by Royal Decree of 24th of October, 1814. It was awarded to all military personnel who participated of the Battle of Heights, near St. Marcial, where the Spaniards defeated a French army in 1813. This battle was one of the last big battles during the Peninsular War.
The composition of the Cross denotes the rank of the recipient. The Gold Cross was conferred upon Generals and Officer while the Copper Cross was for Privates.
The Cross features an obverse inscription that translates to "To the Winners of St. Marcial," and it has a plain reverse.
Sign in to comment and reply.