Military Order of Montesa, Breast Badge (with Fleurdelisé Cross)
Estimated market value:
The Military Order of Montesa (Orden Militar de Montesa) was founded by James II (1260-1327), King of Aragon and Valencia in 1316, and it was approved by Pope John XXII on June 10, 1317. The Order was established as a Religious and Military Order with the task of protecting Spain from Moor invasions.
The Knights were subject to the rules of the Order of Calatrava, and the membership was strictly limited to Catholic nobility.
The Order was fully integrated into the Spanish Monarchy in 1587. After the incorporation of the Order to the Kingdom of Spain, the Order became a Military Order at the service of the Crown.
The Order was suppressed in 1873 during the First Spanish Republic, but it was re-instituted next year by Alfonso XII during the Bourbon Restoration (1874-1931.) Later, during the Second Spanish Republic (1931-1939), the Order was under command of the Pope in Rome; it was only until 1939, just after the end of the Civil War, that the Order returned under Spanish control.
The Orders of St. George of Alsama and St. Mary de Merced were amalgamated into this Order in 1399. The same year, a red St. George Cross was adopted as insignia besides the original black Fleurdelisé Cross. The Fleurdelisé Cross and St. George Cross were combined to create a unified insignia at the mid-20th century. Since then, the combined insignia and the St. George Cross are both considered valid badges of the Order.
The Order is also known as the Order of Our Lady of St. George and the Order of Our Lady of Montesa.
The badge featuring the red St. George Cross is rhomboidal shaped, while the badge featuring the combined Cross is circular.
Sign in to comment and reply.