Order of Saint Louis, Embroidered Grand Cross Breast Star
Image courtesy of „Handbuch der Ritter- und Verdienstorden aller Kulturstaaten der Welt", Maximillian Gritzner
Estimated market value:
The Order was founded by Louis XIV on April 5, 1693. It surpassed the Order of Saint Lazarus and Our Lady of Mount Carmel in precedence when it was created.
It was conferred upon Catholic Officers of the Royal Army for meritorious and distinguished military service. It was the first order of merit in France which permitted an Officer who was not of noble birth to be named a Knight. Napoleon’s Legion of Honour was inspired by this Order.
It was renamed the “Military Decoration” in 1791 and was preserved for a short time during the Revolution, but was later discontinued on October 15, 1792. It was re-established by Louis XVIII in 1814 and discontinued permanently in 1830. During the July Monarchy members of the Order were permitted to wear their decorations, but only with the Fleur-de-Lys removed from between the arms of the Cross.
There were three grades of the Order of Saint Louis: Knight, Commander, Grand Cross. Under the statutes of the Order there were limits on the number of Commander and Grand Crosses and an unlimited number of Knights.
Estimates place the number of decorations awarded between 1693-1792 between 34000-35000. From 1792-1814 an estimated 2500 decorations were awarded and from 1815-1830 and estimated 20800 were awarded.
Until the middle of the 18th century the Breast Stars were entirely embroidered. Beginning in the middle of the 18th century the Fleur-de-Lys and medallions were metallic. Later, during the Restoration period, Breast Stars were made entirely of silver. There is a great deal of variation across versions of the Embroidered Breast Star.
The Order of Saint Louis is listed in the Ancien Regime, the First Restoration, and the Second Restoration.
Sign in to comment and reply.