Campaign Cross, 1813-1815 (Anhalt-Dessau)
Image courtesy of Auction House Andreas Thies
Estimated market value:
A straight-armed cross pattée constructed of bronze and lacquer, although there are versions without lacquer. The obverse bears the inscription "L.F. FRANZ", the 12 o'clock arm bears a crown. There is a wreath in the quadrants between the arms, and there are versions with and without lacquer. The reverse bears the inscription "ANHALTS TAPFERN KRIEGERN 1813. 1815." (to Anhalt's brave warriors). On a loop for suspension, on a white, green and red striped ribbon.
The Campaign Cross, 1813-1815 was instituted by Duke Leopold IV of Anhalt-Dessau on February 26, 1815. The cross was awarded to members of the armed forces who demonstrated extreme loyalty and merit, and voluntarily fought in the campaign against France. Anhaltines fought in Tyrol in 1809, in Spain in 1810, and in Russia in the association of the 5th Rhine Confederation. In the spring of 1813, the dukes of Anhalt-Dessau and Anhalt-Köthen declared themselves against Napoleon. Anhaltines fought in the German Campaign of 1813 and were victorious. At the end of November 1815, troops returned home. Upon a recipient's death, the cross did not have to be returned.
The laurel wreath between the cross arms was originally painted green, but there are examples of replacement crosses and privately manufactured crosses that feature a plain laurel wreath.
Obv: L.F. FRANZ Rev: ANHALTS TAPFERN KRIEGERN 1813. 1815.
This version of the cross features a wreath without lacquer.
Sign in to comment and reply.