Order of St. Elisabeth, Grand Mistress Cross (with brilliant)
Estimated market value:
A cross paty constructed of gold, diamonds and enamels. The cross arms are in diamonds. The obverse center bears a medallion with the image of St. Elisabeth helping the less fortunate. The reverse center bears a medallion with a diamond encrusted monogram “EA” (for Elisabeth Augusta) on a white enamel background, encompassed by a border of green emeralds. The cross is topped with a crown of red gemstones and diamonds.
The Order of St. Elisabeth was donated on October 18, 1766 by Electress Elisabeth Augusta von der Pfalz. The order was based on the Russian Order of St. Catherine. Saint Elissabeth of Thuringia was the patron saint of the order. The Order of St. Elisabeth was committed to charity. Recipients of the order had to be Catholic members of an established aristocracy in which they had to prove their ancestry in a 16 part test. The order was of one class, but was divided into nuns and ladies of honour, as well as a special cross for order officials and the cross of the Grand Mistress. The Order of St. Elisabeth was the most exclusive order for women until the end of the monarchy in 1918.
The Grand Mistress could nominate an unlimited number of ladies, from her own court and Princely Houses, as well as six married or widowed ladies of noble, but not necessarily ancient descent.
The fee for entering the Order was four ducats.
The members were not allowed to appear in public without their badge, if they did so they faced a penalty of one ducat.
The King appointed the Grand Mistress.
Sign in to comment and reply.