Order of St. Elisabeth, Ladies of Honour Cross
Image courtesy of Dorotheum Auction House, Vienna
Estimated market value:
The Order was established on October 18, 1766 by the first Consort of the Elector Charles Theodore of the Palatinate, Elisabeth Augusta, as an-all female chivalric and charitable institution for the poor. The Order was named after the Elisabeth’s sainted patroness and namesake, and it was confirmed on January 31, 11766 by Pope Clement XII, and endowed generously.
Candidates of the Order had to prove that they were of noble birth running through sixteen generations of their or their husbands ancestors.
The Grand Mistress could nominate an unlimited number of ladies, from her own court and Princely Houses, as well as six married or widowed ladies of noble, but not necessarily ancient descent.
The fee for entering the Order was four ducats.
The members were not allowed to appear in public without their badge, if they did so they faced a penalty of one ducat.
The King appointed the Grand Mistress.
Sign in to comment and reply.