Hanseatic League Napoleonic Wars Military Medal in Bronze
Estimated market value:
A circular medal constructed of bronze. The obverse bears the inscription "DEM VATERLÄNDISCHEN KAMPFE 1813. 1814. ZUM ANDENKEN" (In Memory of the Patriotic Conflict 1813 - 1814) above a Hanseatic (Maltese) cross. Encompassed by a border inscribed with "HANSEATISCHE LEGION" and "LÜBECK. BREMEN. HAMBURG". The reverse bears three shields bearing the arms of Bremen at the left, Lübeck in the centre, and Hamburg at the right, the shields leaning against an oak tree, inscribed "GOTT WAR MIT UNS" (God was with us) above and engraver marked "LOOS" (Gottfried Bernhard Loos, 1774-1843). Measuring 36 mm in diameter.
The Hanseatic League Napoleonic Wars Military Medal was founded as a joint commemorative award by the Senates of the three Hanseatic cities of Bremen, Lübeck, and Hamburg on March 18, 1813. The medal was conferred upon all military personnel who fought with the Hanseatic Legion in the Napoleonic Campaigns of 1813-1814.
Traditionally, the Hanseatic towns maintained small Town Guards to maintain order. However, during the Napoleonic Wars, all three of the towns were annexed by France and suffered a massive decline as allied forces surrounded them for over a year. The towns were liberated by the allies in 1813 and then formed the Hanseatic Legion. The Legion was comprised of one infantry battalion from Bremen, one infantry battalion from Lübeck, and two infantry battalions from Hamburg. 750 men from Bremen, 540 men from Lübeck and 1,710 men from Hamburg fought at the Battle of Waterloo under Generalfeldmarschall Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher.
The Bronze Medal is not a wearable medal.
Sign in to comment and reply.