Long Service Cross for Female Servants for 50 Years (1895-1901)
Estimated market value:
A Greek cross with elongated 6 o’clock arm, constructed of silver gilt. The centre features a circle with a crowned monogram ‘V. M.’ inside. The reverse is smooth and gilt, featuring the recipient’s name, decorated with diamond pieces. On a loop for suspension, on a black ribbon.
The Long Service Cross for Female Servants was instituted by Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Grand Duchess Victoria Melita, and was conferred upon female servants who faithfully served for a period of 25 or 50 years.
The cross was founded on March 11, 1895, the birthday of Princess Elisabeth, and it was annually awarded on this day.
The cross originally featured the monogram “V.M.” on the obverse, but it was changed in 1902, following the divorce of Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Grand Duchess Victoria Melita. Later versions of the Cross feature the monogram “E” (for Elisabeth).
The Cross for 50 Years featured diamond chips on the reverse that spelled out the recipient's name.
Sign in to comment and reply.