Order of the Golden Lion, Gold Collar (1882)

CATEGORY: Version

SKU: 01.HSD.0101.101.01.000

  • Gold Collar (1882) Obverse
  • Gold Collar (1882) Obverse Detail
  • Gold Collar (1882) Reverse Detail
  • Gold Collar (1882) Obverse Detail
  • Gold Collar (1882) Reverse Detail

Estimated market value:

N/A

Attributes

  • Country
    Germany
  • Composition
    Silver gilt

History


The House Order of the Golden Lion was instituted by Landgraf Friedrich II of Hesse Kassel and was dedicated to Saint Elisabeth of Hungary, an ancestor of the founder. The Order was conferred upon individuals who demonstrated exceptional civil or military merit. Following the death of the last prince-elector of Hessen-Kassel, the Order was taken over by Grand Duke Ludwig II of Hessen-Darmstadt. On June 6, 1876, the Order was given new statues and was introduced as a Grand Ducal Order.

The Order consisted of three grades: Collar, Collar Badge and Breast Star.

In special cases the Order could be awarded with diamonds.

Awards of the Order were conferred upon women with a bow ribbon.

The Order became obsolete in 1918, following the abdication of the last Grand Duke of Hessen-Darmstadt.

The Collar (1882) featured 14 lion links and 14 monogram links.

The Collar (-1910) featured 12 lion links and 12 moon links.

The Collar (1910-1918) featured 10 lion links and 12 moon links.

FOR SALE / WANTED

Item For Sale By

Be the first to sell this item

Wanted By

Be the first to request this item

Comments

Sign in to comment and reply.

Scroll Top