Order of the Griffin, Grand Commander Breast Star
Estimated market value:
The Order was founded by Grand Duke Friedrich Franz III and was awarded to recognize outstanding achievements and benevolent service to the public.
Until August of 1904, the Order was exclusively awarded in Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Following the signing of an agreement, the Order became a common award between Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Mecklenburg-Strelitz. As such, from this point onward the Grand Dukes of both states were joint Grand Masters of the Order.
The Grand Commander and Commander are physically the same; the only different between the two is that the Grand Commander was awarded with an associated Breast Star.
Awards conferred for military merit featured crossed swords through the centre of the cross.
The Order became obsolete in 1918, following the collapse of the German Empire.
Obv: ALTIOR ADVERSIS
H. Rose, Schwerin
Sign in to comment and reply.