Duke Alfred Medal, Large
Estimated market value:
A smooth circular medal with a raised border, constructed of silver. The obverse features the right-facing portrait of Duke Alfred with the circular inscription ‘ALFRED HERZOG VON SACHSEN COBURG UND GOTHA’. At the bottom is a small manufacturer’s mark, ‘LAUER’. The reverse features the personal coat of arms of the duke with a crown on top and the overarching inscription ‘FÜR VERDIENST’ (‘for merit’). The shield is framed by two crowned lions and features the inscription ‘HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE’. Below the coat of arms is a ribbon with the inscription ‘TREU UND FEST’ (‘loyal and steadfast’), and below that are two crossed oak leaf twigs. On a loop for suspension, on a ribbon of equal parts green/white/green.
The Duke Alfred Medal was instituted by Duke Alfred of Saxony-Coburg and Gotha on January 1, 1896. It was awarded for those services that were not covered by the Saxe-Ernestine House Order Medals or the Medals for Art and Science.
The medal was awarded with an accompanying document. No rank or class distinctions were made between the large and the small version.
The medal was awarded as a neck or buttonhole decoration. Originally, a medal in gold, one in silver gilt, and one in silver was planned, however, only the silver medal was instituted.
The medals were manufactured by L. Chr. Lauer in Nuremberg.
Sign in to comment and reply.