Eckernförde Campaign Cross, in Bronze
Image courtesy of Auction House Andreas Thies
Estimated market value:
A pebbled cross pattée with a raised smooth double border, constructed of bronze. The obverse features a crowned monogram ‘E’ on the 12 o’clock arm and an anchor on the 6 o’clock arm. Across the 9 and 3 o’clock arms is the inscription ‘ECKERNFOERDE’. The reverse is similar, except that the 6 o’clock arm features an oak leaf wreath, and across the 9 and 3 o’clock arms is the inscription ‘D. 5. APRIL 1849’. On a loop for suspension, on a yellow ribbon with a broad black centre, with green inner and black outer side stripes, the green ones being half the size of the black ones.
The Eckernförde Campaign Cross was founded on April 5, 1851 by Duke Ernst II of Saxony-Coburg and Gotha at a parade on the second anniversary of Saxony-Coburg-Gotha soldiers fighting at Eckernförde in Schleswig-Holstein under the command of the duke himself. Duke Ernst II had been awarded the 1st Class of the Military St. Henry Order and the Pour le Mérite.
Officers were awarded the cross in silvered bronze, while non-commissioned officers and enlisted men received a cross in bronze.
Sign in to comment and reply.