Order of Maria Anna, Maria Anna Cross
Estimated market value:
A curved cross with clipped tips, constructed of silver. On top of the 12 o’clock arm is an agraffe to which eyelet and loop are attached. The obverse centre medallion is pebbled and features the left-facing head of Maria Anna. The medallion ring is smooth. The reverse is similar, except that the centre medallion features the monogram ‘MA’. On a loop for suspension, on a light blue ribbon with white side stripes.
The Order of Maria Anna was instituted by King Friedrich August III, to commemorate his deceased mother Maria Anna, on May 6, 1906. The order was awarded to women that had rendered distinguished service to the court, and within public service and non-profit organizations.
This order followed the Order of Sidonia, but preceded the Carola Medal.
Originally, the order had three classes. In 1913, a decoration was added between the II Class and the Maria Anna Cross.
During the First World War, the Maria Anna Order was used as a war award.
Following the death of a recipient, or should the recipient be upgraded to a higher class, the decorations had to be returned. No awards were granted to foreigners.
The Maria Anna Cross does not have any enamelling. It was awarded 205 times, to lower ranking individuals.
Sign in to comment and reply.