Campaign Medal, in Bronze (1849)
Estimated market value:
The Campaign Medal was established on January 14, 1850, by Princess Emma, who was acting as the guardian of Prince Georg Viktor of Waldeck and Pyrmont. The Medal was awarded to Military Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers, soldiers, military doctors, and other medical professional who had rendered exceptional service in the field and directly fought or was in close contact with the enemy.
On September 24, 1850, the statutes revised so that the medals could be engraved with the campaign year(s) on the reverse. Some medals do not feature a date on the reverse. The campaign years denoted on a medal may affect its price.
The medal may be suspended from one of two ribbon patterns. The medal was originally suspended from a ribbon that had a red, gold, and black stripe (in that order). In 1850, the order of the stripes was changed to red, black, gold. Recipients who served in the Campaign of 1813-1815 were likely given medals on the first pattern ribbon, as that was the ribbon that was used at the time of the campaign.
The Bronze Medal (1809), Bronze Medal (1809/1810), and Bronze Medal (1810) were awarded for merit during the campaign in Spain. These are the rarest of the medals as very few soldiers from Waldeck participated in the Spanish campaign.
The Bronze Medal (1813), Bronze Medal (1813/1814), Bronze Medal (1814), and Bronze Medal (1814/1815) were awarded for merit during the Wars of Liberation.
The Bronze Medal (1813/1814/1815) and Bronze Medal (1839) were awarded for merit during the war against Denmark.
A total of 369 medals were awarded.
Sign in to comment and reply.