Cholm Shield, Luftwaffe/Air Force
Estimated market value:
The Cholm Shield was instituted on July 1st, 1942, and was conferred upon all military personnel who participated in the Battle of Cholm Pocket from January 21st to May 5th, 1942.
From January 21st to May 1942, 5,500 men from various formations held the fortress area of Cholm. The men improvised an airstrip, measuring only 70x25 yards, which was used to deliver supplies and munitions to the encircled garrison. Aircrews who actually landed on the airstrip, and did not simply drop the supplies from the air received a Cholm Shield.
This is the rarest German combat shield and there were only 5500 recipients.
The Badge is white, and was worn on the left upper arm of a uniform, without a backing.
Sign in to comment and reply.