DLV Officer's Field Cap
Estimated market value:
On March 25, 1933 the DLV (Deutscher Luftsportverband = German Air Sports Association) was created as a civilian sports organisation, the umbrella organisation of all air-related sports. However, from the very beginning, the DLV was used to secretly train its members for future roles in the newly emerging Luftwaffe, a breach of the terms of the Versailles Treaty.
The organisation should not be confused with the Deutscher Luftfahrtverband (also abbreviated DLV), which was formed in 1902, but disbanded in favour of the new DLV under Third Reich rule.
The DLV was split into two groups, the civilian section and the secret military section, known as the “Fliegerschaft” (air crew). The organisation eventually became obsolete after the official unveiling of the Luftwaffe in 1935, and it was disbanded and replaced by the National Socialist Flyers Corps (NSFK or Nationalsozialistisches Fliegerkorps) in 1937.
The DLV Field Cap was inherited from the Deutsche Luftfahrt (DL). It is in "Schiffchen" (overseas) form, has a curved upper edge on the turn-up flaps, and piping. The top two ranks had gold-coloured cord piping, officer ranks had aluminum cord piping. The national emblem was worn on the front. The cap was worn with the Air Sports Dress (Flugsportanzug) and by members of the glider section. This model was later taken over by the Luftwaffe.
Sign in to comment and reply.