Kriegsmarine Chaplains Collar Tabs (1st pattern)
Image courtesy of Hermann Historica Auctioneers, Munich
Estimated market value:
The headgear, uniforms, and insignia worn by members of the Kriegsmarine were based upon the designs utilized by the Kaiserliche Marine and the Reichsmarine. The official regulations governing the uniforms of the Reichsmarine were issued on April 5, 1921, and they were embraced, with a few alterations, as the Kriegsmarine uniforms in 1935.
Within the Kriegsmarine, only certain groups of personnel wore collar tabs, including all personnel who wore the field-grey uniform, Chaplains, and enlisted personnel.
The Collar Tabs of Chaplains were worn on their service dress, which was officially established on March 24, 1938.
There are two main collar tab designs worn on the Chaplain service dress, the first pattern collar tabs were introduced in 1938, and the later pattern collar tabs were established in 1942.
The collar tabs that were introduced in 1938 feature violet cloth, a Latin cross, a laurel wreath that encircles half of the cross, and a silver-coloured (aluminum) cord border. The laurel wreath and Latin cross are hand-embroidered in silver bullion. These collars tabs were worn from 1938-1942, and they were worn by all Chaplain ranks.
In 1942, a new style of collar tab was introduced with dark blue cloth, a corded border, a gothic cross, and an oakleaf wreath. These collars tabs were worn from 1942-1945, and the colour of the wreath, cross, cord border, and amount of cross encircled by the wreath changed according to the rank of the wearer and how long they had been serving as a Chaplain.
Sign in to comment and reply.