Luftwaffe Female Auxiliary Blouse
Image courtesy of Hermann Historica Auctioneers, Munich
Estimated market value:
Within the Luftwaffe, women were only permitted to serve as civilian employees. After the Second World War began men in clerical roles were moved to the front line and women were moved into clerical and office duties, as well as non-combative roles. They were still considered civilian employees in these roles and were responsible for purchasing their own uniforms.
Prior to 1940, the uniforms worn by women serving in the Luftwaffe were not coordinated across all divisions, sometimes the women were even provided with male uniform pieces. In 1940, specific regulations concerning the uniforms and insignia of the Luftnachrichten-Helferinnenschaft (Ln-Helferinnen), Female Air Signals Assistance Service, were introduced. The same basic uniform was worn by women in the Luftschutzwarndienst (Ls-Warndienst-Helferinnenschaft/Air Raid Warning Service), and by the Flakwaffenhelferinnen (Falkhelferin/Anti-Aircraft Auxiliary), after their official establishment in 1943. These different groups were differentiated by the insignia they wore on the uniform tops.
The Female Auxiliary Blouse is composed of blue-grey wool with a seven button front closure. It features two external pockets with rectangular flap covers closed by a single button.
The blouse feature several types of insignia that were machine-embroidered on a cotton backing and then sewn onto the blouse. The insignia types that may be worn on these blouses includes a Luftwaffe pattern national emblem breast eagle, specialist insignia (Tätigkeitsabzeichen) on the upper left sleeve, chevron rank insignia below the specialist insignia, and sleeve rank stripes on both sleeve cuffs.
Sign in to comment and reply.