High Seas Fleet Badge, by B. H. Mayer
Estimated market value:
The High Seas Fleet Badge was instituted on April 30, 1941 by the Commander-in-Chief of the Kriegsmarine, Grand Admiral Erich Raeder, and was conferred upon German military personnel who served on the battleships and cruisers of the high seas fleet. The badge could also be conferred upon the crew members of other vessels that played a role in supporting the operations of the high seas fleet.
Recipients were eligible for the badge after serving for a minimum of 12 weeks on a high seas fleet vessel, provided that they rendered exceptional service and had a good conduct record. The award could be given for a shorter service period if the recipient was wounded while on duty or had served on a ship that was destroyed by the enemy. The award was also conferred for particularly successful naval engagements, like the sinking of an enemy ship.
The badge was designed by marine painter Adolf Bock. The wreath is gilded, while the ship is silvered.
Badges by Mayer are stamped with the company’s LDO number, L/18. Badges are made of zinc.
Sign in to comment and reply.