Pilot Badge, by Assmann (in tombac)
Estimated market value:
An early fine quality badge by maker Assmann (marked on reverse with company logo/mark), eagle in patinated tombac, wreath in silvered tombac, badge weighs 36.8 grams, with nice old patina, in worn condition.
The Pilot's Badge was officially introduced by Hermann Göring on August 12th, 1935, and it was conferred upon all active military personnel who completed their flying training and were awarded a military pilot’s license.
The establishment of the Badge is often cited as March 26th, 1936, but in actuality, it was first referenced on May 27th, 1935, in the official orders of the Luftwaffe (Luftwaffe Verordnungsblatt). As stated above, it was likely instituted around August 12th, 1935, and its regulations were first published on November 27th, 1935.
In 1935, a cloth version was produced and authorised for wear of light jackets. The Badge for Officers was produced from bullion, while the Badge for Non-Commissioned Officers and enlisted men was produced from cotton thread.
The last recorded conferral of the award was on May 2nd, 1944.
All badges feature a solid mass between the legs of the eagle, however, a few original examples were manufactured with an open space between the eagle’s legs. This variation should strictly be considered a production variation.
Sign in to comment and reply.