Australian Service Medal 1945-1975
Estimated market value:
The Australian Service Medal 1945-1975 was introduced on 22 February 1995 and is awarded for service in non-warlike operations that occurred between 3 September 1945 and 16 September 1975. The Medal can be awarded to all military, regardless of rank, who have rendered 30 days of service in a non-warlike theatre outside of Australia between the aforementioned dates.
The obverse of the medal features the Australian Coat of Arms surrounded by the inscription ‘THE AUSTRALIAN SERVICE MEDAL 1945-1975’. The reverse of the medal features the Federation Star and a blank panel for the recipient’s name.
Clasps with the name of the theatre or operation are issued to recipients alongside the medal. The following claps have been issued:
1) Berlin - Berlin Airlift
2) FESR - Far East Strategic Reserve
3) Germany - Occupation of Germany
4) Indonesia - UN Good Offices Commission; UN Commission for Indonesia
5) Japan - British Commonwealth Occupation Force in Japan
6) Kashmir - UN Mission in India/Pakistan
7) Korea - UN Commission in Korea; British Commonwealth Forces Korea in Japan & Okinawa; Sea or air service 100 miles off the coast of Korea; Ceasefire monitoring activities in Korea; UN Command (MAC)
8) PNG - Papua New Guinea nation building, training and administration of defence forces, and humanitarian relief
9) SW Pacific - RAAF service on Bathurst, Champagny and Sir Graham Moore Island with Long Range Navigation Stations; Islands in the SW Pacific are, Dutch East Indies, Burma & Malaya/Singapore; RAAF service on Morotai Island; RAAF service on Cocos Island with No. 2 Airfield Construction Squadron; Minesweeping service with the RAN; Bomb & mine clearance; War graves on Labuan, Ambon and Borneo
10) Middle East - UN Truce Supervision Organization; No. 78 (F) Wing Malta; UN Observation Group in Lebanon; UN Yemen Observer Mission; Second UN Emergency Force; UN Disengagement Observer Force
11) SE Asia - On land in Malaysia; on land in Singapore; on land in Thailand; on land in Vietnam; on land in Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia; on RAN ships with the ANZUK force
12) Special OPS
13) Thailand - RTAF Base Ubon; on operation CROWN
14) West New Guinea - UNTEA
Sign in to comment and reply.