Cross for the Schools of the Legion of Honour, Type V, V Class Cross
Estimated market value:
The Cross of the Schools of the Legion of Honour was established by Louis XVIII on March 3, 1816. It was not officially part of the Order of the Legion of Honour, although it was under the direction of the Grand Chancellor.
It was conferred upon female faculty who worked in the Schools of the Legion of Honour at Ecouen, Les Loges, and Saint Denis. The Cross has five grades and was displayed in a manner to show the difference in the rank of the faculty.
The Cross was not permitted to be worn outside of the institutions, however after 20 years of service, special permission could be obtained from the Grand Chancellor of the Legion of Honour.
The Cross is classified into five types according to changes instituted in different time periods.
The Type VI Cross has been worn since 1881. It has rays in between each arm, round medallions, and a surmounting academic palm. The inscription on the obverse medallion translates to “Legion of Honour,” and the inscription on the reverse inscription translates to “Honour and Fatherland.”
The second version has inverted olive and laurel branches on the surmounting academic palm, the third version has flat medallions, and the fourth version differs in composition.
The V Class Cross is worn on a ribbon by non-tenured instructors, and by tenured instructors and personnel for less than one year of service.
Sign in to comment and reply.