Alexander Carl Commemorative Medal, 1848-1849 (Anhalt-Bernburg) (in bronze gilt)
Estimated market value:
A circular medal constructed of bronze gilt. The obverse bears the coat of arms of Anhalt with two crossed swords behind it, topped with the inscription "FÜRCHTE GOTT UND BEFOLGE SEINE BEFEHLE" (Fear God and Obey His Commands), the bottom bears a sprig of laurel and a sprig of oak. The reverse bears the name "ALEXANDER CARL" in the centre, above is the date "1848" and below the date "1849", encompassed by the inscription "SEINEN BRAVEN KRIEGERN FÜR UNERSCHÜTTERLICHE TREUE" (to his upright warriors for unswerving loyalty). On a loop for suspension, on a white ribbon with green stripes.
The Alexander Carl Commemorative Medal was founded by Duke Carl Alexander of Anhalt-Bernburg on May 8, 1853. The medal was awarded to Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers, soldiers, and military officials who actively remained loyal to the Ducal House throughout the revolution, which occurred between March 1, 1848 and October 1849.
At this time, like much of Europe, the small Dukedom of Anhalt-Bernburg was confronted with revolutionary fervor. In March 1848, revolutionaries gathered in Anhalt-Bernburg and a year later in March 1849, the army had fought down the revolution. At the same time, the Bernburg Fusilier Battalion advanced against Denmark.
Prussian gendarmes and residents who served as volunteers in the Prussian army were also entitled to the medal. In 1854, it was determined that upon the death of a recipient the medal should be kept in their church. The medals were minted by Münze L. Ostermann, G. Loos, Berlin.
Sign in to comment and reply.