Medal for Art and Science (Anhalt-Dessau) in Silver
Estimated market value:
A circular medal constructed of silver. The obverse bears the bust of Duke Leopold IV encompassed by the inscription "LEOPOLD FRIEDRICH HERZOG ZU ANHALT". The reverse bears the inscription "FÜR VERDIENST UM KUNST UND WISSENSCHAFT" (for merit in arts and science) encompassed by a wreath of oak and laurel. On a loop for suspension, on a green ribbon with white stripes.
The Medal for Art and Science was established by Duke Leopold IV in 1854. It was established to award outstanding achievements in Art and Science. The medal was originally non-wearable, but in 1860 recipients were permitted to wear the award on a ribbon. A total of 15 Gold Medals for Art and Science were awarded. The medal was discontinued after the foundation of the Anhalt Order of Merit for Science and Art on July 7, 1873. Seven Silver Medals for Art and Science were awarded.
The reverse side of the medal is identical to the Medal for Art and Science from Anhalt-Bernburg, 1856-1863.
Sign in to comment and reply.