Service Medal for Midwives for 40 Years (1887)
Estimated market value:
An ovular medal constructed of silver gilt. The obverse bears a cherub head superimposed over a cross. Below the cherub, there is a banner that features the inscription "FUER 40 JAHRE". Four eight-pointed stars are placed in the corners of the medal. The reverse is plain and smooth and features the engraved name of the recipient. With a loop for suspension on a black ribbon.
The Service Medal for Midwives was founded by Grand Duchess Louise in October of 1884. It was conferred upon midwives who rendered long and faithful service within the field. The decoration originally consisted of a single class, which was awarded for 35 years of service. Applications for the award were submitted by the district officers to the board of the Baden Women's Association. The Grand Duchess, with the medical officer of the interior ministry, would pick recipients of the medal. At the first award ceremony, 178 midwives received the award. The original 1884 design featured a cherub head superimposed over a cross. Below the cherub, there is a banner that features an inscription. Four eight-pointed stars are placed in the corners of the medal.
In 1887, the award was redesigned and divided into two grades. The original award was reduced from 35 to 25 years and the newly introduced grade was for 40 years of service. The design that was introduced in 1887 features a cherub head, but it is no longer superimposed over a cross. Below the cherub, there is a banner that features an inscription. This version no longer features stars and instead has an ornate border surrounding the cherub.
In 1888, the inscription on the obverse of the medal was changed to "FÜR TREUEN DIENST". The Medal for 50 Years was added as a grade at a later date and it was only conferred twice. The Service Medal for Midwives was awarded until 1917.
Sign in to comment and reply.