House Order of Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig, Collar (1863-1865)
Image courtesy of "Handbuch der Ritter- und Verdienstorden " by Maximilian Gritzner
Estimated market value:
The Order was instituted by Grand Duke Paul Friedrich August of Oldenburg in commemoration of his father, Duke Peter Friedrich Louis. It was conferred in recognition of both civil and military merit.
The Order was separated into two divisions; each division featured the same awards, but they were allotted different number of members.
The first division or “die Kapitulare” was limited to members of the Oldenburg family. The chapter had an associated badge, which was a medallion surrounded by an enamelled green wreath. The badge came in numerous grades, which affected the composition.
The second division was composed of honorary members. This division of the Order was allowed to confer twice as many awards.
All grades of the Order, except for the Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medals, could be awarded with crossed swords to denote military merit.
If an individual had previously received a lower-grade award with swords, and later received a higher grade without swords, they wore “swords on ring” on the higher grade.
In 1918 a further provision for a wreath of laurels was added to the Order. The wreath was conferred for war merit.
The Order became obsolete in 1918 when the last Grand Duke of Oldenburg renounced the throne.
The Collar is composed of 24 links, and the reverse of the links are flat.
After 1909 the Collar was only seldom awarded.
Sign in to comment and reply.